Friday, May 18, 2007

Getting in touch with my roots



Yesterday I attempted to make my first batch of Czech kolaches ever. For those of you not in the know, a REAL Kolache is not filled with sausage and cheese - those are called pigs in a blanket. An authentic Kolache is a semi sweet flavored bread like pastry with a sweet filling... traditionally, prune, poppyseed, apricot, or cottage cheese. I used a combination of my Grandmother's recipe and some recipes I found on the Internet. They took most of the day and were way more work than I had bargained for. They turned out pretty good for a first attempt. My only failure was that I baked a good half of them for too long. I grew up eating Kolaches at my Grandmother's every Sunday. Since she has passed, they are an elusive craving that I get from time to time. There are a few places to get them in Houston, but none that even compare to an authentic Czech kolache. Now I have a small stash in my freezer and life is that much sweeter because of it.

0 comments: