Monday, April 24, 2006

The Contagious Laugh

One of the greatest gifts that Carsten brings to my life is laughter... the kind of laughter that makes your stomach muscles hurt and gives you those God awful laugh lines around your mouth. Carsten and I have a good laugh like this at least once a day. Before he came along, this kind of laugh was rare. It usually takes a lot to really get me going the way Carsten does.

We do most of this laughing in the bath at night. I really dread the day that Carsten will be too old to bathe with me because it is by far my most favorite time of day. Usually the laughter strikes when his gas does. He thinks farting in the tub is the FUNNIEST thing in the whole world, especially when he sees that it gets a chuckle out of me. He really gets going when he can conjure up (and trust me, he really works at it) a few good ones. He starts laughing uncontrollably and I start laughing uncontrollably. Before we know it, neither one of us can laugh anymore.... me because of my side being in stitches, him because he has given him self a bad case of the hiccups.

I am so lucky to live this experience every day. I don't know how I ever lived happily without it. I really have to get the videocamera out and try to capture his laugh... the knee slappin', uncontrollable, side-stitching eruption. I am positive that it would be very efficient in combating even the worst case of depression and spreading world peace.

1 comments:

Melissa said...

James doesn't have belly laughs, but he does get uncontrollable giggles some times. It is one of the most beautiful sounds I know.