Wednesday, November 30, 2005

My Bird

Yesterday I received sort of a thank you note from a friend in the mail... well, not just any friend, my best friend... my "Bird". It was one of the most touching sentiments anyone has ever written me. Last Saturday night Danyel and I invited our families over for sort of an After Thanksgiving Dinner. Well, of course, I invited Bird, who is family to me. Anyways, she sent this note thanking us for having her and her husband over to celebrate with our families. She commented on how lucky I was to have such a wonderful family and how grateful she was that she has always been welcomed to be a part of it. She went on to point out everyone and their contributions, so to speak, to the success of the get together. Carsten's laughter, my mom's sweetness, my dad's ability to keep her in stitches, my father in law's friendliness to all, etc... But, she forgot to mention her own contributions. She always brings a smile to everyone's face and brightens a room when she enters it. She is the only person that I know that always has this effect on people. Her sense of humor is second to none and her unique endearing personality appeals to everyone that she meets. She has a love for children that is unlike anybody I have ever met. She is officially Carsten's Godmother, but "mothers" MANY more. Her children will be the luckiest ever born into this world to be the recipients of her love and care. She is one of the least self involved people that I know. She has gone through a rough few months, but despite her own sadness and loss, she has celebrated everyone else's joys with enthusiasm. There are not many people that display that kind of grace and strength. You see, Bird, you are right, I really am lucky. I have you as a sister for life. No matter how my life plays out, I know that through it all, good and bad, you will always be there. What a gift and a blessing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geezzz...you know how to make a gal blush! Saturday night I had one of those moments, which frequently happen to me when I am around you, where I look around the room and realize that Andrew and I are the only "non-family" members. This realization of being the only “non-family” member in the room, if you will, happened to me a few years ago and it felt odd at first (especially since my own family was in turmoil-IMAGINE THAT ;). But now, as I have gotten older, I appreciate it, I cherish it, I relish in it! Families have these unwritten rules, right?! For instance, you HAVE to invite "family" to events, even if you don’t care for them, because they are “family”. But with me, you never HAVE to invite me because I am not "family." So when I look around a room full of “family” and I am there, I can’t help but think that you invited me because you WANTED have me there and not because you HAVE to invite me. What a great feeling that is! I love you and always will; after all to me you are my true sister, blood or no blood!

Anonymous said...

There sure is a lot of estrogen in this room

Melissa said...

I second that! Brad and I have no family within a six-hour drive. That was hard, but OK, when it was just the two of us. Now that James is here, it's heart-wrenching. It's such a comfort to have such a great person who can help fill that void. James is very lucky to have an Aunt Meme!

Melissa said...

Just saw how my post might look following D's. I second Cara's sentiment, not Danyel's :-)