Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Living at the Mercy of The Baby Monitor

I am wondering if other mothers of babies live at the mercy of the baby monitor like I do...

Early this morning at 5 a.m. I heard Carsten cry out on the baby monitor followed by silence. I started to pray. Please God, it's 5 o'clock in the morning, I am exhausted, please let him go back to sleep. I listened to the silence for a short while and just about when I was convinced he was asleep, he cried out again. My heart sank and my hope was destroyed. This was not a false alarm. He was up. I gave him a bottle - in the dark - with hopes that it would put him back to sleep. It didn't, but I could tell he was still tired. He was being restless while I was rocking him, so I decided to put him back in his crib. This was my last hope. I went back to bed, all the while listening on the baby monitor. He never cried, but for 45 minutes he babbled. The whole time I stayed wide awake hoping and praying that the monitor would go silent. I even crossed my fingers for good luck. Every few minutes, he would get quiet for a short time and then the babbling would start again. Each time, my hopes diminished that I would meet the sleep fairy once more before dawn. Finally, the monitor fell silent for good at 6:15 a.m. Thank you God!

I hate that damn monitor.

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm with you! Even when James goes right back to sleep, I can't go back to sleep very quickly because I'm listening to the monitor, just waiting to hear him cry. Even if he doesn't, I lie awake waiting for it...listening to the quiet hum of the receiver.