Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Patience is a Virtue

Recently I was given an ornament by a friend. The ornament is of a hand carved angel named "Angel of Patience". The inscription on the gift tag reads "Bringing a calm & unhurried spirit to watch over your busy world".

Consuquently, this is one of the main challenges I have faced as a new mom. Patience. A trait I have always been lacking of. For the most part, I think that I am a great mother. Dedicated. Loving. Affectionate. Caring. Patient - I am still working on. In addition, my son is very stubborn and strong willed (Huh... wonder where he gets this from?) Even at 8 1/2 months this is evident.

So, I hung the "Angel of Patience" on my armoire in the TV Room where I spend most of my day. It has become a daily reminder to stay calm & patient when my little angel shows his devilish side. Today as I tried to rock him to sleep for his nap, he cried... he squirmed to get away (did I mention how strong he is?)... and he pitched a good old fashioned fit. Ususally when this happens, I lose my cool. But, today was different. Through the struggle, I focused on my "Angel of Patience" and on staying calm. Eventually, Carsten drifted off to sleep and I was still as cool as a cucumber. Yep, I have to say, I am pretty proud of myself.

0 comments: